Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Too many POE possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcranford

MIS
May 18, 2000
US
I had a situation this morning where I needed to temporarily add wireless to a classroom. I used a 3Com 8760 (POE) and configured it and the Cisco switch port with VLAN and all seemed ok. Within 15 minutes, two Proxim 4000's (also POE) connected to the same switch began to shutdown and restart. The Proxim's would then last for approx 20 minutes and shutdown/restart again. All the time, the newly added 3Com never lost power. I replaced it with a spare Proxim and the problem went away. I now have three access points on POE but they all are Proxims as opposed to just an hour ago when two were Proxim and one was 3Com. This apparently rules out the title to my question but maybe there is a setting on the 3Com concerning power consumption?

Any ideas?
Thanks

On your Cisco switch, do a sh power inline and total up the watts provided - make sure it doesn't exceed what the switch can provide.

I don't know of a power-savings setting for any AP; the consumption per device varies (mine go from 7 watts to 15.4).

Thank you for this and the time to reply. I wasn't aware of that command. The situation was temporary and concluded yesterday morning. I would have liked to see the results of the command during the problem time but the classroom is now back to the way it was and it's too much of an inconvenience for others for me to redo the config of all involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back