Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Too many hops

Status
Not open for further replies.

ofranmar

MIS
Apr 4, 2003
US
Hello,

I am setting up my domain on a Sun workstation at home. Suppose the domain name is I was able to set up sendmail to send e-mail out successfully, but have problems to receive e-mail. If I use my yahoo account to send an e-mail to anything@domain.com, I get the dreaded: (reason: 554 5.4.6 Too many hops) reply message. So my question is how to modify sendmail.cf or aliases so that any e-mail sent to anything@domain.com gets forwarded to one account on that workstation? Thank you. Olivier.

Hi,

You need DNS server for your incoming mail. Within the zone file you will specify MX record to handle your smtp.

Outgoing mail is straight forward enough.

regards,
feroz

Sorry it is taking me so long to reply. Here are my DNS records:

sun.domain.com IN A 10.20.30.40
IN CNAME sun.domain.com
domain.com IN MX 10 sun.domain.com

I used to have the macro DS defined and was getting those too many hops error messages. I removed that. I can receive e-mail if the address is root@sun.domain.com, but get a 553 and 554 error if I used the anything@domain.com address. Do you know how I can fix that? Let me know if you want the exact values. The servers is not turned on all the time either.

Regards

Olivier

Hi,

You need internet IP to handle your mail server or DNS. From your DNS paste, you are using non-routable ip (LAN). Plus when you register your domain, you have to specify DNS entry that going to handle your domain. Is this box on the internet or just LAN?

If you on dial-up and not 24/7 up how are you goiong to get your mail? Do you have secondary MX that help to queue your mail? I hope you give more explanation on what are you trying to do here.

regards,
feroz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back