Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Too many floppy seeks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeradsyn

IS-IT--Management
Jan 16, 2003
US
My 'inconvenience' is that during normal operation, my floppy drives will randomly start seeking, even without disks or query on my part.

While I am on-line, while no one is using the machine, the drives will kick in and seek 2-3 times, then stop, a few minutes later it will repeat. Sometimes it will go for an hour without seeking, other times, it seems like it just seeks continuously.

I am on a network and have filesharing enabled, however, the floppies are not included in the share, nor are they mapped to any other drives on other workstations.

I suspect that there is a registry key set that points to the floppy drives, but am not sure how to find it.

I've swapped out the floppy with a single fujitsu 3.5 unit, still have the problem.

My system consists of:
EGS K7VMA mb, onboard sound and video
Athlon 900 Mhz CPU
400w P/S
256 MB pc133 sdram SIMM1
Maxtor 60Gb hd IDE1
Teac combo floppy
HP cdrw IDE2
zip100 drive
Realtek 8139 10/100 nic

has anyone run into this before?

HI, do you have an antivirus software installed ? If it has a file monitor (look in system tray) staying resident, it could be set to verify the boot of the floppy from time to time. I once long ago ran into this problem, and got rid of it by unchecking the box near "scan floppy" (or something similar) Be sure not to disable floppy scan on opening files from it. There is always an explanation!
But maybe we don't know it.
The truth is out there!

Am running Norton A/v, and yes, the options are set to scan the removable media when mounted, but it doesn't affect the cdrw or the zip the same way. The excessive seeking is only the a:/b: drive.

btw, the o/s is win2kpro.

The OS should not matter in the least , most likely you problem is from a bad cable or power suppily connection.
I have had the same problem and it came down to a loose power connection at one of the power splitting cords.

I have had similar problems with floppys and Norton. Had to disable scan of A: drive to fix the problem, probably not yours thou. LOL PEARL

Yes surely the Antivirus explanation is okay. I had the same problem on my compaq presario system. But it is okay now.

Thats weird my systems are also presarios 7588, 5185.PEARL

thanks for everyones input, I will keep an eye/ear on it.

jerry drager

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back