Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Too many controls on a form? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

LLudlow

Programmer
Oct 5, 2001
CA
I have a form that is going to display a lot of information. There is going to be a combo box a list box and then 38 text boxes. The poblem is that the client strictly wants the form to display all of this info in one form. The problem i am having is that i cannot fit it all on one form. I cannot get the vertical scroll bars to work properly either. But besides that when in the IDE the form is not large enough to place all of these controls.

Any suggestions

Elway

Maybe a little more info on what the form will do will help. Why do you need 38 text boxes? Can you use tabs (like when you go to Tools, Options in Internet Explorer...)?

Try using the tab control and just placing the text boxes on different tabs. Mark

The key to immortality is to make a big impression in this life!!

Thanks for the tip i will use the tab control. What compent is it under?

elway

It is under Microsoft Tabbed Dialog Control. Rob
Just my $.02.

Rob is right! Here is a little more detail, just in case...

When it comes to tabbed controls, I believe that you have two choices:
(1) Sheridan Software's Tab Control (SSTab), and
(2) Microsoft TabStrip Control.

Be sure that the Toolbox is visible. If not, on the menubar click View, on the View menu click Toolbox.

For SSTAB Control:
(1) On the menubar select 'Project'.
(2) From the menu, select 'Components'.
(3) Scroll down the list and select 'Microsoft Tabbed Dialog Control 6.0'
(File name: TABCTL32.OCX)
(4) On the toolbox, SSTAB Control shows up as a multi-tabbed folder icon.

For Microsoft TabStrip Control
(1) On the menubar select 'Project'.
(2) From the menu, select 'Components'.
(3) Scroll down the list and select 'Microsoft Windows Common Controls-6.0'
(File name: MSCOMCTL.OCX)
(4) You will see about nine icons show up on the toolbox. Select the one that looks like a folder.

Hope this helps. Enjoy tabbing ...

I have started to use the tab control. So if i split the text boxes b/t three tabs can i use just one comand button to send all of the information from all of the text boxes to the database?

Yes - just put the "Save" button on the form, not the tab, along with your "Cancel" button. That way it will be visible no matter what tab the user is on.

Chip H.

Yeah I'm kinda curious what kind of program you're making for this fella to have to use so many txtboxes.

Would you share? =)

-null

null,

it is a program for a particular department to keep track of their daily activities for different issues. There are four types of issues, and one of these needs to keep track of a lot of information and it cannot be split into more than one form.

One final question. Is there an easy way that i can have the tabbed control resize when the form is resized. Such that no matter what size the form is all of the tabs are showing on the form? I would look in the VB help but it does not work!

Is there a tabsize/tabwidth property? Try the customized property view. Just a guess, so don't count on finding gold.

Wil Mead
wmead@optonline.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back