Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

too many activeX controls everywhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

redsss

Programmer
Mar 17, 2004
US
In light of the recent news about internet explorer's security flaws, I've switched my security zone setting to prompt before scripting ActiveX controls marked "safe for scripting"

Now whenever I browse many well known trusted sites (cnn for example), I get prompted with "a script is accessing some software (an activeX control) on this page which has been marked safe for scripting. do you want to allow this?"

I am very curious what kind of activeX they are attempting to run. I WISH there was a "details" button that would display the OBJECT tag or the javascript/vbscript that is attempting to run activeX.

Its amazing how these activeX controls are EVERYWHERE since activeX seems to be the industry standard way for web developers to "enhance" the users browsing experience. For example, using activeX to determine whether to send a flash advertisement or a GIF advertisement.

I'm curious if there any IE plugins that will tell me what activeX is being attempted, and what are other common uses for activeX besides flash/GIF decisions?

In the NEAR future I see activeX being phased out in favor of .NET as the web developers see more & more surfers disabling activeX or using alternative browsers.

Thoughts anyone?

Thoughts anyone?

As you have stated, in light of the security problems with IE and OE, I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would use either one. Seems to me that it's like playing Russian Roulette - you know that sooner or later you're going to get hit. Note that it's "sooner or later" and not "if".

Just browse through this forum and try to find any security issues caused by other browsers. Then go to the HTML and Javascript forums to see that IE is the browser that DOES NOT conform to CSS and Javascript standards. And finally, go the the Email Issues forum to see that it's rife with issues that plague Outlook Express. You don't see those kinds of issues with almost any other browser!

[soapbox]

There's always a better way. The fun is trying to find it!

Download the latest updates and patches for IE6.01SP1.
And if you can download and install Service Pack 2, it will be a good idea, it comes with ActiveX controller, really good.. very nice service pack, the best i ever seen.

Try it, you will find out how good it is.
Go to Microsoft.com, then look for Service Pack 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back