Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tons of Notes questions from a newbie! Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hokuto

MIS
Nov 2, 2006
US
Hey everyone, I'm new to Notes and I have a TON of questions coming from an Outlook word, so here they are.

- Is there any way to have Notes open new email and create new mail in a new window, same way Outlook does? I hate always creating a new email full screen drives me nuts.

- Is there any way to keep my calendar and to-do list local, and only upload to the server when I want? I find I still have to use Outlook just for to-do because it's soooo painfully slow to load the Notes to do, wait for it to load and wait again when I click new to-do.

- Is there an option or plug in to spell check as I type, the way outlook does? Or even to change the dictionary so that every second word isn't found as an error?

- Does anyone have any tips to speed it up in general? Find doing everything off the server is really slow.

I think that's it for now. The first one is the biggest, really want to be able to do my to-do list really fast, and then just upload to the server at the end of the day so when I go home and use my other computer I can access it. Thanks!

I would strongly suggest that you do not try too hard to get Notes to act like Outlook but attempt to understand how Notes works. No one likes change, and Notes is not the most intuitive application there is either, but this is a golden opportunity to test your adaptability. In any case, Notes is not Outlook, so don't try to compare the two.

To answer your questions :

1) Notes works like Excel or Mozilla : create new sheets or tabs works in the application screen space, not in a new window. That cannot be changed unless you go and change the button code.

2) You can work locally and replicate with the server at regular intervals. Check your database preferences for the setup. Ask the Notes Admin or an experienced user if you have any doubts !

3) Notes does a spellcheck when you ask for it.

4) Server performance is an Admin issue and demonstrates either that the server is overwhelmed by its load, or the network is insufficient to handle all the requests. There is nothing you can do on your side, no more than you can speed up a download from a slow server on the internet.

Notes is a client-server application that works very much with the server. If the server is slow, that is going to be an unavoidable hassle.

There is one thing you might be able to do though. If you have local replicas of all databases you work with, and if you create a location document that connects you to the server to replicate your mail but treats everything else locally, you might be able to expose yourself to server latency only when sending your updates.

However, this might not be very good for some applications you use, as it might introduce conflicts if you change documents locally when other people do so on the server copy. You'll have to be careful if you try to implement this.

Pascal.

I've got nothing to hide, and I'd very much like to keep that away from prying eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back