Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tonning data / voice drops when there is high power interference

Status
Not open for further replies.

Genoblade

Technical User
Dec 12, 2003
US
Hi Guys!
I been coming to this forum for answers for years but this is only my second post so I hope this is the right place.

I'm trying to tone some voice and data drops in a couple of your remote offices and on one I get music through the toner, there is nothing connected to the drop, in fact I get music no matter what cable I place the toner over.
In another location when I try to tone I don't get any tone even if I place the toner right on the jack where the tone generator is connected, instead of tone I get a humming noise, the same kind of humming you get when you tone close to high power lines. Once again there is nothing connected to the data drop and I'm sure the drop is not shorted because this even happens on drops that are currently working.

I was wondering if there are any tricks that seasoned folks here have tried when Running on this issue.

I used 3 toners one was a Fluke networks, a Sperry ET64220, and a cheapy one I got from Harbor Freight tools (Don't laugh).

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back