Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Toner and Probe POE interference 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

troma76

IS-IT--Management
Aug 12, 2008
US
m in need of a Toner and Probe kit that can overcome the interference created by PoE or a cable plugged into an active switch.

I bought a Fluke Networks Pro3000 Analog Tone and Probe and all i got was the feedback . I am wondering if a Fluke Networks IntelliTone Pro 200 Toner will work. I been looking through the comments and i have not seen this mentioned or maybe im missing the right verbiage to look for. can any one help??

Look up something like: Progressive Tone And Probe Line Tracer. When you get it, build an adapter that sends the tone (normally on the blue pair) down an unused pair, or split it between other pairs, ie one on Green/white, the other on white/orange or similar. That should take care of your issue.
I am not familiar with what you have, but you may be able to build an adapter for that too, with just a pair of data jacks and a piece of wire.

Toners work best on split pairs on unconnected cables. Since you have to disconnect one end to insert the tone you can't work on a live circuit anyway. So one method goes like this:

1. Connect toner to a split pair with an adapter or connect toner to one wire in the cable and the other toner lead to ground.

2. Look at switch for unconnected ports.

3. One at a time remove the cable patchbay connector that connects to a unconnected switch port.

4. Stick the insulated tip of your tone probe into the open connector on the patchbay. The tone should be quite audible.

There are better ways to trace wires in this situation than a toner and probe.

First, if it is a managed switch look at the MAC address table and you will be able to tell which devices are connected to which port.

Second, there are quite a few devices available that flash switch ports when connected to a remote jack. My favorite is the MicroScanner. It gives provides a complete set of tools to verify basic connectivity and find faults in almost any sort of cable. I don't know if the MicroScanner2 has this capability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back