Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Toner and Probe kit for active PoE cables

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manueljung

Technical User
Aug 20, 2003
US
I am in need of a Toner and Probe kit that can overcome the interference created by PoE or a cable plugged into an active switch.

I have an old Progressive analog that I've used for voice forever, but all it does is buzz when trying to tone these data cables. Will be mainly used on house cabling with a plethora of Cisco routers and switches. (we apparently have a closet with three 48-port switches with no labels and I have some dead jacks that I need to trace back to the closet...yay!)

I've read that Tempo FP200 is good and a Fluke model that I now cannot remember to save my life.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Many CAT 5 testers have a built in toner function that uses a frequency that can be heard over cables that are still plugged in to a switch etc. This is a little more expensive option than the tone generator of course, but it does also give you the additional testing functionality too. You can usually use your existing wand with it.

One trick in toning CAT rated cable, is to connect the tone source on split pairs. When toning cable with tight twists, the signal radiation is diminished due to the twisting of the pairs. Using split pairs causes the cable to act like an antenna, so the signal should be easier to find.

....JIM....

One trick in toning CAT rated cable, is to connect the tone source on split pairs. When toning cable with tight twists, the signal radiation is diminished due to the twisting of the pairs. Using split pairs causes the cable to act like an antenna, so the signal should be easier to find.

....JIM...."

Ditto this. I put tone on pins 5 & 7 and have no trouble finding cable, even when plugged in. Most PoE switches will only apply power when there is a device on the far end that requires it.
Mike

POE uses the brown pair

I like toneing over split pairs "it works the best

I would look into a tester/analyzer that has the ability to flash the LED's on a switch. At my work, there was never any documentation or standardized labeling in the past, now I have a nightmare to try and straighten out. I have a Ideal cable certifier that will blink the switch port LED on a cable that is plugged into a switch. If it's not plugged in, splitting pairs, as others have mentioned, really works well for using a toner..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back