Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

tomcat 8.0x java.util.logging.Logger.log to file

Status
Not open for further replies.

everdelightedone

Programmer
Aug 1, 2018
RU
I'm using

Code:
private static final java.util.logging.Logger LOGGER = java.util.logging.Logger.getLogger(MyClass.class.getName());
LOGGER.log(Level.INFO, "log message);
style to log in my java web application.

I start tomcat 8.0.21 from startup.bat (project requirement) on windows 10. I can see all the logging in console window, including java.util.logging.Logger.log logging. But I can't see any java.util.logging.Logger.log logging in tomcat standard log files - %tomcat%/logs/catalina.2018-07-31.log and localhost.2018-07-31.log.

I can see all the tomcat logging, but not my web application logging. I need to track some problems with my web application on client machines in production, because I can't model such problems on my local computer.

I need to see my logging along with other tomcat logging in %tomcat%/logs/catalina.<current_date>.log. It would be better to to use tomcat logging configuration for all the projects. But using a per-project configuration is acceptable too. I have Googled the whole day, but all the recipes I found did not work for me.

Please don't offer to use log4j. Using java.util.logging is a project requirement. Here is my %tomcat%/conf/logging.properties file

Code:
handlers = 1catalina.org.apache.juli.AsyncFileHandler, 2localhost.org.apache.juli.AsyncFileHandler, java.util.logging.ConsoleHandler

.handlers = 1catalina.org.apache.juli.AsyncFileHandler, java.util.logging.ConsoleHandler

.level = INFO

1catalina.org.apache.juli.AsyncFileHandler.level = ALL
1catalina.org.apache.juli.AsyncFileHandler.directory = ${catalina.base}/logs
1catalina.org.apache.juli.AsyncFileHandler.prefix = catalina.

2localhost.org.apache.juli.AsyncFileHandler.level = ALL
2localhost.org.apache.juli.AsyncFileHandler.directory = ${catalina.base}/logs
2localhost.org.apache.juli.AsyncFileHandler.prefix = localhost.

3manager.org.apache.juli.AsyncFileHandler.level = ALL
3manager.org.apache.juli.AsyncFileHandler.directory = ${catalina.base}/logs
3manager.org.apache.juli.AsyncFileHandler.prefix = manager.

4host-manager.org.apache.juli.AsyncFileHandler.level = ALL
4host-manager.org.apache.juli.AsyncFileHandler.directory = ${catalina.base}/logs
4host-manager.org.apache.juli.AsyncFileHandler.prefix = host-manager.

java.util.logging.ConsoleHandler.level = ALL
java.util.logging.ConsoleHandler.formatter = org.apache.juli.OneLineFormatter

org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost].level = ALL
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost].handlers = 2localhost.org.apache.juli.AsyncFileHandler

org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost].[/manager].level = ALL
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost].[/manager].handlers = 3manager.org.apache.juli.AsyncFileHandler

org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost].[/host-manager].level = ALL
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost].[/host-manager].handlers = 4host-manager.org.apache.juli.AsyncFileHandler

mycompany.package1.level = ALL
mycompany.package2.level = ALL
utils.jaxws.level = ALL

Maybe you need to define the java.util.logging.config.file parameter as said here

Cheers,
Dian

java.util.logging.config.file property is used to specify logging properties file to use. In my case tomcat uses ${catalina.base}/conf/logging.properties normally. Tomcat reads configuration from file above. The problem I face is I can't see any console output in tomcat log files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back