Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tomcat 4.0 Connection failed for external users

Status
Not open for further replies.

aod8

Programmer
Nov 25, 2005
IE
Hi all,

I have developed a web interface which is a combination of JSP's, servlets and java beans. I developed it in JBuilder. When i run my application i can access the login page through where x.x.x.x is my public address. However for some strange reason when I try to access this link from outside my internal network, the connection just times out. Basically it can't find my server. But my server is on a public IP address which should be viewable on the Internet shouldnt it?

I thought it might be the settings in JBuilder so when I went to Project -> Project properties -> Run. I could then see the server and chose edit. I could see that I am running Tomcat 4.0. The hostname was 'localhost' and the port 8080. So I thought maybe if I changed localhost to my IP address that it might make a difference. It didn't. I also changed the port in case that was it and that also didnt help.

Does anyone have any ideas? Has anyone experienced something similar?

Many thanks.

Its almost certainly your firewall blocking access to the port.

Try telnetting to the port to see if it is really open, and/or check your firewall settings.

--------------------------------------------------
Free Java/J2EE Database Connection Pooling Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back