Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Toll free line monitoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pigboy

MIS
Jul 1, 2002
US
Does anyone out there know of a package that can dial/log toll free numbers and send an alert if there is no answer/fast busy or any other state than connect?

Oink

I've worked on some, but they were never ready for prime-time, so they were never converted to products, only custom developments.

You want to be looking for something that uses CTI (Computer Telephony Integration) boards, like Dialogic, Natural Microsystems or Music Telecom.

The ones that we wrote would actually test the IVR tree by using the Speach API (SAPI) and check for keywords in the phrases. But that was many years ago. Maybe someone has built a production version, but I haven't seen it.

pansophic

Something that supports Dialogic boards would be great. I have an old Dialogic board from a Rightfax system that could be used for this purpose.

It is specifically an inbound toll free number group that I need to monitor for my Rightfax system. My carrier is telling me that there is no way that they can monitor the toll free numbers at all or the LD line w/o taking it for intrusive testing, and that can't be done to *monitor* a production system.

Oink

We did active testing like this as a routine job for a customer. The application ran a schedule, placing calls and testing the tree structure. It would email alerts if there were issues.

With some relatively simple programming you could do simple answer detection. As a matter of fact, I believe that if you used a digital card (ISDN BRI or PRI) you could receive actual answer supervision. We just relied on the voice detection of the analog card. It was still very reliable.

But if your Rightfax system is always answering as a fax machine, then you could use a simple fax/modem and a procomm script to get your testing accomplished. If the fax syncs and attempts to receive, then you were successful. If it doesn't, you weren't.

pansophic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back