Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Toggle speech recognition via keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPent

Programmer
Oct 3, 2002
TR
I would like to be able to turn vistas speech recognition on/off using a key on my keyboard.
For some strange reason these commands have no shortcut key assigned to them as far as I know.
I tried it using AutoHotKey, but the speech recognition window does not have a handle, so it's a bit hard to select.
Does anybody know of a solution?

Advanced speech options

"I wish there was a shortcut to open up Speech Recognition. You have to go into Control Panel and start it from there every time you want to use the program. There is the option to have it start every time you start your computer".

System-Wide Shortcut Keys (search for speech)

I don't use Speech Recognition myself, but what happens if you make a Shortcut to this file and select/make a Shortcut key in the Properties of the shortcut? Does that just launch to Setup Wizard or your already setup Speech Recognition?

%SystemRoot%\Speech\Common\sapisvr.exe -SpeechUX

The systemwide (speech) shortcuts in the link you mentioned do not seem to work in Vista for me.
What happens when I do that is that speech recognition starts up (in sleeping mode). This is not what I need. Perhaps I was not clear.
Speech recognition (when running) has threemodes: on/off/sleep You can toggle between on and sleep by means of a voice command. However, I want to be able to toggle between on and off via the keyboard. (It happens a lot that while in sleepmode, it turns back on while I am on Skype).

To turn off Speech Recognition when you are not using it, click on the Microphone icon on the Language bar in the System Tray and make sure neither Dictation nor Voice Command is displayed.

Turn speech recognition off when you’re thinking. You say “stop listening” to put speech recognition into “sleep” mode; it awakes when you say “start listening”.

Turn Off Speech Recognition completely.

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
2. Click Date, Time, Language, and Regional Options.
3. Click Regional and Language Options.
4. On the Languages tab, click Details.
5. Under Installed services, click Speech Recognition, click Remove, and then click OK.
6. Click OK to apply all the changes. You may have to restart your computer.

Thank you for the explanation, but I knew all that.

"To turn off Speech Recognition when you are not using it, click on the Microphone icon on the Language bar in the System Tray and make sure neither Dictation nor Voice Command is displayed."

What I want is to do this with a single key on my keyboard.

Hi all,

Why isn't there a way to turn speech recognition on/off quickly, for eg make a shortcut on the desktop or elsewhere.

The only fast way I have found of doing it is by typing 'sp' in the start bar search and then clicking 'speech recognition'.

I hope this helps but let me know if there is a better way.

I don't want it to activate on start up just randomly.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back