Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

To Shred or Not to Shred - That is the Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

genesiusj

Programmer
Dec 18, 2013
US
Hello all.
Not a newbie, but still a novice for lack of use of XML and XSLT.
I was given some great help in the past here by k5tm, and by others. I first want to say that this one of the few sites where the technical experts actually help their less-knowlegable colleagues, while at the same time not making them feel like carp in the process. You have been blessed with a deeper understanding of these concepts, but you don't look down your nose on those of us (me) who do not grasp your explanations immediately.

Here is my current dilemma.

I am not involved with the actual coding, just with finding solution when a piece of code does not work. I do not have access to running the code.
My colleague is shredding individual XML documents into Enterprise database tables. In one of the elements there is a value that must be checked to determine which table to store the document's elements to.

Code:
<STATUS>OPEN</STATUS>

The values could be: CLOSED / OPEN / PENDING REVIEW / LEGAL ACTION
The documents with CLOSED as the status would be shredded/transformed to Table A; OPEN to Table B; PENDING REVIEW to Table C; LEGAL ACTION would not be shredded.

I am looking to find the difference (efficiency, speed, etc.) between using:
<XSL:For Each>
<XSL:Apply-Template>
<XSL:Choose>
<XSL:If>
<XSL:When>
or, any other method.

Thanks in advance for your help and direction.

God Bless,
Genesius

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back