Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TO REPAIR HARD DRIVES? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TEACHERLESS

Technical User
Aug 6, 2000
US
HELLO PROS, I AM A SMALL REPAIR SHOP OUT OF MY APARTMENT.I GET A LOT OF HARD DRIVES AND AM TIRED OF THROWING THEM AWAY.
I'VE BEEN TOLD THE THERE IS A UTILITY DISK THAT LETS ME DO A REPAIR, IE. LOW LEVEL ETC, OF THE 3 OR 4 MAIN TYPES OF HARD DRIVES IS THERE A SITE FOR WESTERN D., SEAGATE, QUANTUM, FOR ME TO GET THIS SOFTWARE THAT MIGHT ASSIST ME IN REPAIRING SOME OF THESE HARD DRIVES THAT I RUN UP ON?
SINCERELY,
PAUL
PS. THANKS GUYS!
PPAR6569@AOL.COM [sig][/sig]

There are three programs I used to use, On-Track Drive Manager, Spinrite (older drives but was the best) and Drivepro. Drivepro and On-Track will do a low level format on most if not all harddrives made today, Spinrite worked well up to 2 GIG drives, but I got out that type of work in 99, so I don't know if it will work on larger dives today. I hope this helps you out even though I can't give you web site names. [sig][/sig]

Quantum has a utility called QDPS on its site ( which does an excellent job of diagnosing hard drive errors. If the HD fails this test, it needs replacing. If it passes, download the Zero Fill program from the same site. It will wipe out any partitions - takes about 20 minutes for a 10Gb HD. Then fdisk the drive and create new partition.

Seagate has some FAQ's on its website but no utilities.
(
Western Digital ( has a diagnostic program called WDDIAG available for download off its site. [sig][/sig]

as far as low level format goes, most newer BIOS will have a built in utility in the BIOS to allow you to give a drive a lowlevel or &quot;Pre-Format&quot; formating so that it can appear freshly made. it would possibly resolve any bootloader problems, partitions, etc. [sig]<p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.com>kb244@kb244.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)<br>
[/sig]

If a harddrive is mechanically damaged, make sure you unscrew the chip on the harddrive before you throw it away. When you get a harddrive where the electronics are burned you can always look at the serialnumber of the disk and replace it with your stash of chips. make sure that the serial from the first damaged disc is of the same model as the one with burned electronics.

[sig]<p>Nostradamus<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br> [/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back