Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

To COM or not to COM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smbure

Programmer
Mar 30, 2001
US
I have two waring factions, one for com, and another for pure asp. I personally like the n-tier approach. As far as application performance only, which is faster???

I have done tests on small scales that prove the component isn't much faster at all. I have over a million contact records in this database, and it may have 1000 concurrent users at all times, with the potential to have 10 times that amount soon.....which party is correct???? gettin' jiggy wid' it --
smbure

COM will be faster in larger scale environments.

Think about it, every request to ASP causes it to be run through the interpretator (some pages may be cached but this doesn't work for pages with DB access). The more requests coming in, the more interpretating being done, the more stress on the machine.

In COM, MTS keeps around a bunch of instances of the objects and hands them off as they are needed. New objects aren't being created for each request like in the pure ASP model. The pages are still being interpretated but with most of logic going on in the COM components that means less work on the interpretator. Wushutwist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back