Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

to color with two pantone color 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

arshzafar

MIS
Jun 16, 2009
IN
Hi All,

I have to color a art with two pantone color, Pantone 288 C and Pantone Orange 021 C.this is a cartoon illustration.some time i have to mix both pantone with different percentage,like 30% of 288c+20% of 021c.I have to use color tints and shads too.i have colord this art with photo shop but this became 4 color job and this is not acceptable.please suggest.I have attached two file 1.sample and (colors)G14_001.jpg for help.

...you can certainly do it in photoshop, it's a good deal of work involved...

...photoshop requires additional channels added to the channels palette (known as alpha channels), double click an alpha channel allows you to change it to a spot color and choosing one from the color libraries...

...spot channels in photoshop will by default overprint each other, which means you have to manually knock out the channels by deleting (or filling with white) using selections...

...spot channels are essentially black or white and percentages of black, so to get 70% you would paint in either 70% black or 70% black opacity brush...

...one thing you have to be aware of is trapping between colors, which means spreading lighter colors into darker colors...

...this link gives you the basics to spots in photoshop:

...looking at your supplied images, you may find it easier to do in illustrator, although with illustrator to do mixed inks, you have to layer one object on top of another and set the top object to multiply (or overprint), so that the color underneath adds to color on top (e.g. 100% P.288 + 35% P.021)...

andrew

...the other advantage of doing it in illustrator is that you don't have to worry about trapping...

...many commercial RIPS perform vector trapping well, spot bitmap trapping can be achieved but not all print providers have RIPS that can perform it. So the vector route just makes prepress that little bit easier to deal with as most print providers will trap vector spot colors automatically, based upon their needs on a given printing press...

andrew

..thank you very much sam!!

...greatly appreciated!!

: )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back