Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

To Benefit from Security Features of XP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerjim

Programmer
Jan 4, 2001
PH
First of all, Hello to everyone who reads this:

I am a heavy internet user meaning I stay connected on the average 18 hours a day through a dial-up 56K line. My computer has Windows 2000 installed but then I just realized that Windows XP has better security features than W2K which is no longer being supported by Microsoft. So logically, I should upgrade to Windows XP. I have a Pentium-III 866Mhz cpu with 512MB of memory. My hardware should be sufficient to run XP.

I have not migrated to XP because I have heard that it has a lot of overhead and so it runs slower than W2K. (W2K is very, very stable.) Also XP does not support DOS-based programs. (Although I have yet to run a DOS based program on W2K.)

Therefore if only to gain the benefits of the security features of XP, I should upgrade to XP.

Is my reasoning correct? Are there other more compelling reasons for me to upgrade to XP?

Thanks in advance to all.

Your logic is correct but your computer will drag because XP is very intense. I would look into getting a upgrade for my machine before moving up to XP. Only doing the minimum will get you no where.

List of minimum requirements in case you couldn't find them:
If anyone calls and says "I know a little something about computers" just tell them to reformat it.

As far as I know, jerjim's hardware is within XP requirements. In fact, having 512 MB of RAM is the recommended amount and his 866Mhz should be sufficient for non-intensive/graphical work.

As for security, you will sooner or later have to intall SP2 with all of its security "benefits" such as firewall and pop-up blocker, etc.

Go ahead and upgrade to SP2 since the security is better. What do you do for 18 Hours on the internet?

If anyone calls and says "I know a little something about computers" just tell them to reformat it.

XP can be setup to run in Classic View (and look just like your 2000 Desktop) and run very efficiently with all the extra colorful themes removed.

How Do I Make Windows XP Work More Like Windows Me or Windows 98? (or 2000)

It will be possible to transfer all your settings (and many files) even if you do a clean install of XP (recommended) rather than an upgrade.

306186 - HOW TO: Use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard By Using the Windows XP CD-ROM

293118 - HOW TO: Use Files and Settings Transfer Wizard in Windows XP

Most DOS software will run on XP.

Troubleshooting MS-DOS-based programs in Windows XP

XP is the most stable Microsoft Operating System.

A general checklist is included in this article.

HOW TO: Prepare to Upgrade Windows 98 or Windows Millennium Edition to Windows XP(Q316639)

See if you can borrow a friend's XP CD and run the Upgrade Advisor program from the CD to check your machine for any problems.

Description of the Windows XP Upgrade Advisor

Dear tk808, DestinysDream and most especially linney:

Thanks for all your advice. Very, very helpful. Didn't realize all this was possible. More power to tek-tips!!!
I will immediately upgrade to Windows XP.

JerJim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back