Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

To be the First in Technology ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StefanusJHendra

IS-IT--Management
Aug 29, 2001
AU

The booming in technology advancement in past few years has brought major changes in organisations. They have to plan accordingly in which technology they want to adopt.

Currently, Im taking a Master Degree in IS(Information System) Management. This topic was raised in order to have better understanding about technology in organisation.

Being a computer technician and IT professional, I have been monitoring consistently new products and technologies introduced by several major developers / manufacturers. Newer products tend to set higher standard in computing and business operations. Organisations employed new IS (Information System) to maximise their efficiency and profits. However, applying new products proved to be costly and time consuming.

I am wondering if an investment of latest IS (Information System) technology in IM (Information Management) is essential and would prove that we can best our competitors.

Interested in your comments.

As a developer with a background in economics I have thought about this also. I see a diminishing marginal value to advancing technology. The added benefit of moving from a 100Mgz system to a 200Mghz system was very noticeable and beneficial. The added benefit of moving from a 1.7Ghz system to a 1.8Ghz system is much less noticeable eventhough the difference is still 100Mhz. At some point technology speeds will increase past the point of human perception in differences from one speed to the next.

This phenomonon of diminishing marginal returns to technology will catch up with moore's law (speed doubling every 18 months) and at the point they cross technology advancement will become more static. (There will still be advancement but it will be more academic driven than industry driven).

You can extrapolate this speed idea to bus speeds, RAM, and even the results of the technology (meaning the end value to businesses).

This certainly does not mean the end of technology or productivity advancement because there will always be people who come up with better ways to apply the technology to business needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back