Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TNS: protocol adapter error

Status
Not open for further replies.

ychousa

MIS
Jun 11, 2003
US
Hi

I just installed ORacle 9i database 9.2 on windows XP professional. I tried to run sql plus and I got the first prompt screen.I entered the following

User name: scott
password: tiger
host string:

and I got the following message

Error Ora-12560: TNS: protocol adapter error

I also tried every username and password set on the manual, but got the same error.

One thing I encountered during setup is that DB Configuration Assistance(if I remember correct) was not installed-it required a key.

But a weird thing is that the assistance WAS installed when I checked Oracle program bundle in Start > Programs > OraHome 92.

Is this problem during setup causing the TNS protocol adapter error?

How would I get into sql plus?

Thank you very much for your help!

ychousa:
There are several things you need to check:
1. After you install the database, you should have listener running as a Service. Make sure it is started, and note the Listener name.
2. You need to set SQL Net Configuration so that your Oracle client/SQL Plus can access the database via listener. That will be the "Host string" if you login to sql plus. For the first login, just try user: system, password: manager. If it is failed, then your configuration is still wrong.

Regards
Irwan

isampurna,

Thanks for your reply.

I posted the same question on Oracle 9i forum and was able to successfully configured oracle.

Anyway, thanks for your post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back