Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tmp files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladyhawk

Programmer
Jan 22, 2002
AU
Is there any way to stop XP from creating so many tmp files in the C: drive root directory?

Ladyhawk. [idea]
** ASP/VB/Java Programmer **

Yes, shut down . ;-)

No, seriously, what kind of tmp's are they?
Xp does not make them just like that, maybe it is an app. doing it?
Are they big, empty, names ...

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

My full blown version of Diskkeeper does this.

I just every once in a while delete them. They take up almost no room.

They are usually 0 bytes. Applications do crash occassionally and I get the wonder "Do you want to tell Microsoft about their stuff up?" message.. but I didn't think the number of tmp file equals the number of stuff up messages. In other words, there seems to be more tmp files than stuff up messages.

Ladyhawk. [idea]

O, if applications crash, you better fix them, that's not XP's doing then.

But I thought XP would be handling the crash.

Ladyhawk. [idea]

It may very well be the programs. What applications are crashing? Have you tried re-installing them? How often do they crash? If you delete the tmp files, how often do they re-appear? etc.

It's usually Microsoft Visual Basic 6, but sometimes Windows explorer. It depends on what I am doing. They are usually called something like DD3.tmp. I just deleted all of them about 2 hours ago and nothing has crashed since (that I can remember) but there are 2 there.

Ladyhawk. [idea]

What is your TEMP variable set to? If it is normal, c:\windows\temp or c:\winnt\temp then the VB program is writing them to the root and not using the Temp variable. These programs are supposed to delete there temp files when closing but they don't. You have to keep an eye on them. On a PC at work I found 27,000 of them on one PC!!!

That is why we put a line in the autoexec.bat that says:

IF EXISTS C:\*.TMP DEL C:\*.TMP

We did the same for the Foxpro junk files .cdx and .ftp and .dbf ( careful with the .dbf one though, some you want)

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

What i would do is gointo msconfig startup and shut down all apps and in services anything not pertaining to microsoft and see if they reappear..then if they dont start putting stuff back 1 at a time to see which is causing the files to be created and then maybe we can work from there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back