Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TM 3.1 Undetermined Alarm Code

Status
Not open for further replies.

Szechwan

Technical User
Jun 10, 2008
US
I have 2 CS1000M systems and TM 3.1. I just upgraded one system to from Rls 4.5 to Rls 5.5 and changed the TM alarm notification device from Meridian1 to Common_MIB_Device. Now every alarm from the upgraded switch is preceeded by 2 Undetermined codes (trap type 6.3 and 6.4).

Undetermined is listed under severity and there is no error code or device type, just the device name and trap type.

The second switch running 4.5 is still working correctly.

Has anyone seen this issue or have a fix?

Haven't used this option, but I think it is the nature (to produce such a message) of the MIB based on this PDF ...

(perform a search on MIB or 6.3)

"This MIB module defines MIB objects which provide
mechanisms to remotely configure the parameters
used by an SNMP entity for the generation of
notifications."

Is there a problem with leaving the TM alarm device on Meridian 1? If I had more experience with this I could better answer your question.

TM requires me to change the device type to MIB for any software version 5.0 and up. I tried to leave the device as Meridian1, but I did not receive any alarms.

I am using the Alarm Notification feature of TM 3.2 and it works great. A couple of suggestions, though for TM 3.1:
1) Make sure that you have the latest PEP -- perhaps you're dealing with a known issue on 3.1 that was addressed by a patch.

2) Assuming that your PEP's are up-to-date, try using the "test alarm" feature in LD 117 and see if you can generate a critical alarm in the Alarm Notification window of TM. If you issue the following command in LD 117, it should generate a critical alarm:

test alarm dta 011 <enter>

If you issue that command and don't receive an alarm with a severity of "critical", then you've got an issue that I probably can't help you with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back