Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TLS - individual accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

siki85

Technical User
Mar 17, 2009
PA
Hi mates,

For the record, I'm not an Exchange expert.
I was wondering, if is it possible to use individual email accounts without TLS encryption ?
I have a customer which recently migrated from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2007. The thing is, that they have some devices (specifically, devices that monitor temperature and humidity) which do not support email alerts with TLS. So after migration, these devices stop sending emails and we suspect TLS could be causing this.

I read about disabling TLS on SMTP connectors, but I'm not sure if this will affect the entire Exchange server. Here are the commands the website I found described from "Exchange Management Shell":
- Set-SendConnector -Identity "AuthSMTP Connector" -IgnoreSTARTTLS $true
- Get-SendConnector "AuthSMTP Connector"|fl IgnoreSTARTTLS

Any help would be appreciated guys,

CCNA, SECURITY+

You can't configure TLS on a per-email account level. But if your alerts always go to a specific destination domain, you could create a new send connector just for that domain and disable TLS on that send connector. That would be the most efficient way to go about it.

Exchange 2007 does opportunistic TLS, which means that it's always trying to use TLS with remote servers. But it's not required to do TLS to send mail, so if you did disable it completely on the default send connector, it's unlikely that it would create any issues. But still much better to create a new send connector for a limited number of domains and disable TLS on that.

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back