Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TL400 and inbound conditional mapping

Status
Not open for further replies.

tedi

Technical User
May 9, 2003
US
Currently I am using TrustedLink/400 v5.4.1 and I would like to apply conditional mapping using the internal sender id on an incomming 850. Has anybody any luck in doing this?

Can you go give more detail on why you need to have conditions on the sender id? Wouldn't it be better to have an 850 map for each trading partner?

Wow that's a blast from the past, and thanks for replying Kernel99. Since I posted the question, I have upgraded TL and found the solution to my question.

Yes it's true a trading partner can have their own map. But, the reason I was trying to condition the sender id was due to a majority of our trading partner maps were pretty much identical. So, I decided to consolidate these maps based upon the version and add any trading partner specifics to the consolidated map.

In order to condition the sender id, I performed the follwoing steps:

1. Create a workfield.
2. In the "ST" segment map the keyword <Partner Internal Id> to the partner workfield.
3. After this mapping you are able to perform conditional mapping on any other segment.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to contact me again.

Have you been able to capture information sent by a customer and turn it around on an outbound document with TL. ie. customer sends in a divsion number on the 850, and they also want to see that on the 810.

Thanks

There are several ways of capturing and turning around information needed by a trading partner. I currently utilize a couple of ways. One being, I added fields in our database files to store this information. And the other is to create a file just for specific types of data. ie, a file for the REF segment.

I then can reference this information either in our backend systems, if needed, or when creating the outbound documents.

I'm trying to utilize the Work Fields for this but don't know if I'll be successful. I could store the information in a field I am not currently using, but I don't want to have all kinds of different information in that field. In other words, I don't want to create or use a catch-all field. That's nearly impossible to program against.

Thanks for the reply.

I think I understand what you are trying to attempt and I don't know if it's possible. If I understand you correctly you would like to create a TL workfield in your inbound document, and then reference this workfield on your outbound document. Is this right?

The problem I forsee, if the above is correct, is with the outbound document. It will not know where to go and get the information. With all my experiences with outbound documents the data has to come from your user files or keywords. I could be wrong, but if you find a solution please let me know.

Thanks tedi. I certainly will. I appreciate your correspondence on this. Today is my first day in the forums and I must say, I'm pleased. Have a good one.

Kernel99

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back