Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

tk installation problem/ tcl configurations

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnlwlinux

Technical User
Sep 12, 2010
US
I'm trying to install tk8.5.9 on ubuntu 10.04.01 from source code. The downloaded file has been untarred. When I attempt to use the './configure' command on any file in the tk unix directory I get this message: "WARNING: can't find Tcl configuration definitions".

There is only one file in the directory that mentions tcl specifically and so I tried to configure that file, thinking that I had to install the binaries from the tcl file in order for the tk install to go through. But trying to configure any of the seemingly pertinent files brings up the same 'WARNING' message.

I am not familiar with Ubuntu & source code installations. If you just care to install tcl/tk, other forums seem to suggest this:

sudo apt-get tcl tk

Other option is downloading binaries from:

Unzip the tar.
Run install.sh from the directory where you unzipped the tar.

It should launch a GUI dialog box and you can take it from there.

If you really need to do source installation(if you are really modifying source code to be optimal for your needs) then this info maybe useless.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back