Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

tips on dual booting XP and Windows 8 & loading W8 on a separate physical HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougP

MIS
Dec 13, 1999
US
I have an old (10 years) XP box and was wanting to know if I could load W8 (I have run the upgrade wizard and it says only a few issues) one is video.

I want install it on a separate hard drive I have inside but the W8 upgrade version I got for $39 a while back wants to put it on the C drive, which does not have enough space.

Any ideas suggesitone etc welcome :)
TIA

DougP

You should be able to choose Custom installation when setting up Windows 8 to choose the location of the install.

However if the Windows 8 version you have is the Upgrade version you can only install it on top of an existing Windows Installation, so it won't likely let you choose the location.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

How serious is the Video problem? There is not much point installing Windows 8 if all you get is a black screen.

How to clean install Windows 8

Windows 8 Upgrade: clean install possible?

How To Clean Install Windows 8 Pro Upgrade
Start a Clean Install Using an Upgrade Licensed Copy of Windows 8 Pro

How to Prepare Your Computer for Windows 8

How To Dual Boot Windows XP And Windows 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back