Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tips on Creating automated reports for symposium 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenwave2

Technical User
Sep 7, 2006
US
Don't really know much about how to automate reports for symposium. I have already established my connection, but need help creating reports using excel. can anyone help?

When you create a custom report in Symposium one of the tabs that you are presented with is the output options tab. Under this tab you can set the report to export to a file or to print. Use this area to setup how you want to export the report. Under the schedule tab set the frequency of the report. I used to do this at a previous job and had the reports export to an HTML file out on a shared folder on the network so all the higher ups could view call stats every day without having to have the client installed.

I have already established my connection, but need help creating reports using excel.

Judging from your statement above, I'm assuming your hooking into Symposium via ODBC and extracting the data that way. I'd suggest using the web client (just as atascoman did) to pull existing reports into .csv files and then manipulating them with a routine in Excel to organize the data the way you want it. This avoids a lot of calcualtions that are already done for you in the client. Of course if you're trying to do custom calculations then this isn't the way to go.

The web client does do Excel directly but adds a lot of merged cells and formatting to Excel dumps, even in the "Data Only" format.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back