Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tips for creating a Flat File?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NicoleM

Programmer
Oct 18, 2001
ZA
Hi

can anyone give me any tips on the structure of a text file which will be used to store data?

thanks!

That depends on what you will be using it with?

What do you need it for?
Are you going to import into a database, be read by a program, pass it to a shell process?

A little more information would be helpful I'm Your Huckleberry!

Hi Nicole,

I take it for granted that the venerable comma-delimited text file is not what you mean by your question.

Your answer depends on your platform and how you plan on using the datasource. Since it's data, and since it's flat text, XML might provide the most flexible way to utilize the data once it's stored.

I'm not sure what Oracle offers for XML transformation or availability, but SQL Server 2000 has a pretty useful (if generic) engine for manipulating databases as XML, if you have a RDBMS available.

To point up your question though, XML is probably your best bet as far as a flat text file goes; the structure of the data is right there with the data. This lends efficiency to manipulating the structure and the data itself.

More applications every day are beginning to send messages internally and externally as XML, as well as holding config info and the like in XML files. This will bode well for future inter-application operations you may want to implement, from desktop to SOAP applications.

Hope this helps,
sFalken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back