Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tips for a newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boozer

Technical User
Aug 22, 2001
US
Hello All!

I had two semesters of C in college and have it down fairly well dealing with everything through structures. The new job I have could benefit greatly from a few C programs. Ones I could write in C, but we all know thats kinda tacky nowadays for Win program that others will be using. I got Visual C++ 6.0 and it seems A LOT different than the good ol' C i was used to programming in. I was just needing some good hints/tips to get started in the Visual C world. I was looking at books and reference material, but there are so many out there. If anyone has any suggestions for me, I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks!

On C++ ('cause that's what you need to understand VC++) try Stanley B. Lippman's "C++ Primer".
On VC++ I recommend David Kruglinski's "Inside Visual C++".
both books will give you a good start.

I recommend a course in C++ if you're not familiar with it. Some of the concepts are tricky if you're not familiar with oop.

Boozer,

Im curious, are you implying that in todays programming job market a standalone knowledge of just C is insufficient? Not that I disagree with you but over the course of my experience with languages (which has been an acute 6 months :)) many programmers tell me that C is the foundation of it all and is a must-know language. I jumped straight to C++, should I learn C first?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back