Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tip: Oracle Install glitch on Solaris; Solution 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

joefox

MIS
Feb 19, 2001
US
Disclaimer: I'm a beginner to oracle and UNIX, so if there's something I'm missing, someone please correct me.

Problem: Oracle installer reports very small free space on a disk with several gig free and won't allow install.

Solution: Stuff enough free space with files to bring your free space below 2 gig and the installer will recognize the actual space and allow installation. Delete the filler files after install.

Details: I'm working on a PII 350 with Solaris 8, and had a 4.3 gig slice available for install. Oracle installer reported 171 meg and wouldn't allow the install. Upon some advice from newsgroups, I placed several files of 200meg+ size on the slice to bring it down to 1.9 gig free. Ran the installer again and it let me install. Supposedly you can do a "mkfile" in Solaris and create a file big enough to do the job, but I wasn't seeing the results in my "df -k" statement so I did it the hard way. I've asked Oracle about this and will reply to this with the response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back