Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tip: Obtain a book budget

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnicho02

Programmer
Jul 20, 1999
GB
There are millions of textbooks out there and they cost lots of money (to us normal mortals). However, when compared to the cost of a training course the price is minimal. At the beginning of the financial year make sure that your boss budgets for textbooks using the price comparison argument above. You should then be allowed to buy books through the year out of this budgeted amount, obtaining permission for each purchase or with free reign depending on what your boss allows.

Check with your accounts department about the petty cash situation.<br>
<br>
Then have a problem on your server that you cannot resolve. You know a book that will cure the problem without getting a consultant in. Buy the book, cure the problem.<br>
<br>
Not that I would EVER dream of doing it myself :)

Good one Zel. Tricky though, since a &quot;problem&quot; usually costs the company money. <br>
<br>
Another one would be add it into an existing budget. When you're buyig anew system add in the book that will help you to manage that system. <p> Jeff<br><a href=mailto: masterracker@hotmail.com> masterracker@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Another good one, Jeff. A harder solution but one that seems to work is to buy the book from your own wallet and wait for the related problem to manifest (trust me, there will be a problem). Then turn in the receipt for reimbursement. After seven years, my company has only failed to cover $43 (the book is open on my desk and was worth every penny of it).

Zel, Jeff & Alt,<br>
<br>
You have obviously experienced the very reasons for my tip. Most immediate bosses (team leaders, project managers, etc.) would be happy for the company to pay for your book. However, most of the time the budget for their project has already been ratified by someone above them and if it didn't include an amount for petty cash then they will have to go and ask their boss. Most of the time they might not bother because they are too embarrassed to ask a big boss for a (to them) small amount of money.<br>
<br>
When I got an annual budget agreed for my department I managed to get £1000 for the year (that's about 30 books!).

WOW!!!!!<br>
<br>
I get nothing. No training budget, no book budget. Nada. That is why I have to play the petty cash game and the occasional &quot;you do know he is going to leave soon because he is being offered training on XYZ as a lure to go to another company&quot;...<br>
<br>
Three staff in the department. One guy has had no training courses since he joined in July. My Dep has had two in about three years and I have had one.

jnicho02 ,<br>
<br>
Not too shabby! I used to have problems getting two pens at a time. Fortunately, we had a mgmt. change. I'm now required to attend at least 2 seminars a year and I have to complete 2 certification exams before my next review. (Means they have to pay for it.) Doesn't mean I don't have to be reasonable however.<br>
<br>
The key is to be responsible and to document things in such a way that non-tech mgmt. will understand that the requests are reasonable.<br>
<br>
<p> Jeff<br><a href=mailto: masterracker@hotmail.com> masterracker@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

GeeWhiz Folks, while its always great to get reimbursed for education keep two things in mind.

IMHO
1) for what we get paid in this industry 3-4 books at $50 a pop is what...the cost of two dinner dates!!! Big deal.
2) in the IT sector, more so then any other industry, we cannot afford to be dumb.
Education is essential whether you or your company pays for it.
3) if your company is not helping you with pro. ed. I would suggest you find a company that is more simpatico and contemporary in its thinking.

4) Dont be so damned cheap!!! This post has more threads cribbing about who pays for books...chheeezzz.

:)
g'luck
ivan

Hi, Ivan. You make an interesting, albeit hypothetical point. In nations such as the UK and USA, where funds seem to burst from the blue sky, money for ordinary, commonsense ventures is nearly impossible to obtain.

There once was a twisted, perverted god named Murphy....

The philosophy is: If you can't build a space shuttle from a ball of yarn and a lump of coal you have no business in this business.

Any victory, however small, is a victory against world hunger. It's a victory against war. It's a victory against starvation. It's a victory against every thing that makes life unpleasant. I think you see my point.

We are a people who relish the small victories. We will die and go to heaven knowing our requests for an Exchange Server upgrade bore fruit and helped to make it &quot;all better&quot;.

Don't belittle our small victories. We are fighting armored tanks with fingernails and scowls.
VCA.gif

Alt255@Vorpalcom.Intranets.com

Pivan, you're a CCIE right? I mean 6 figure salary and all.

I work for a billion dollar company, they have it and if we need it they'll buy it. So why deny them?

And as ALT255 says is that we're winning little battles.

I wasnt going to saying anything but here goes.

The cost of the books you need to do your job should be paid by the company. The one post above appeared to be condescending to me. Unfortunately, this IT boy dont make mega bucks, and repeatedbly buying $50 books is a strain. In fact the only books I have are from my personal library, and dont talk about Utility Software. Companies have to stop being cheaping, when I'm outta here, my stuff is coming with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back