Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TIMWAH, can you help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TekGeek555

Technical User
Mar 17, 2007
US
Hello Tim,

I have a few STK 9840B and 9840C drives and I need STDS to test them. Are you familiar with this software? Also I believe I read somewhere on the forum that you had access to stortek's support site. Can you help me get this software? Thanks for your help Tim.

Hi TekGeek,
I'm in agreement with STKman's post. STDS is proprietary and will not help much with diagnostics. You need a program like SCSI ToolBox if you want to run in depth diags.

Hi Tekgeek

To yourself and anyone else who may be interested, if you don't want to shell out the ridiculous amounts of money it costs for SCSI toolbox - and you or a coleague know a little bit about Visual Basic. Then get the shareware SCSI OCX and write your own SCSI diagnostic program. I got it some time ago and it works very well. It comes with some basic sample code and only took a few hours to get a decent app running. Not quite SCSI toolbox, but it does the job with timed full tape writes, rewinds, reads, random spacing and all that kind of stuff. If a command fails you can trap the error (ASC ASCQ) code. Some info here...

All the reference material you need is in the DLT product guide which has a section on SCSI command codes, so you know what the codes are for read, write, rewind etc

Regards, STKman

Another program you can use is SCSIPro from Mirus Technology it costs around $1500 and is pretty versatile.

Hi you guys,

Thanks for the helpful comments! I appreciate it alot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back