Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Timing start

Status
Not open for further replies.

OzzieGeorge

Programmer
Jan 14, 2005
AU
I am trying to connect a coral to an old NEC system as part of the site is being sectioned off and will at a later date move offsite. The adding of the coral was made necessary by lack of capacity in the NEC system. The problem I have is that the site uses 55 as an emergency number but also has extensions 55XX. We have got everything we wanted to working apart from this. The NEC has timing start and if you just dial 55 then wait, it times out and goes to 55 I can't get this to happen between the two systems as we are using an ISDN link and can't find a solution to the problem!

Any suggestions gratefully recieved!

Let me get this straight...
* The Coral is connected via a PRI card to the NEC?
* When Coral users dial anything it goes via the PRI to the NEC and the NEC either rings an xtn of sends it to the public PSTN/ISDN?
* You want Coral users to be able to dial 55 and also 55xx which are sent to the NEC?

* Do you dial 0/1/9 for an external line before dialling 55?
* What country are you in? 911 is emergency in US, 999 in UK, 111 in New Zealand, 000 in Australia, 112 in Europe. Are you saying 55 is an internal emergency to an onsite contact and the external emergency is still in use?

You cannot have conflicting numbers of differing lengths so having 55 and 55xx in the Coral NPL is out of the question. However....

The only way I can see it working is if you make 55xx Network Numbers in the Coral NPL. They are sent to a Node which just sends out on the PRI to the NEC and rings the appropriate xtn. Then you would have to make them dial eg 955 for the emergency number - 9 is trunk access and it just dials 55 on the PRI to the NEC.

I would have thought my username would have given away the fact that I am in Oz.

The coral will hang off the NEC via pri, however it will also have it's own incoming PRI. I can't change the 55 (on site) emergency code and I can't get the customer to change 100 extension numbers to suit the limitation the coral is causing.

I have to go to the coral as this is a temporary arrangement and the customer won't pay for a system that can handle N07 signalling to link to the NEC and the NEC can't act as the network side of a PRI link. My next possible solution is to add some analogue links via cot cards in the coral and send the 55 to line with post dialling taking care of the 55xx numbers as the NEC will support that! I would have preferred however to do this over the PRI but the coral won't allow post dialling till after connection over a PRI. I'm hoping the cot circuits are more forgiving.

Yeah I noticed that after I pressed save! I'm in Aus too and I'm pretty sure I know who you are - say hi to Jason :)

Limitation of the Coral is an interesting term. I'd prefer to say odd configuration of the NEC ;) Having conflicting lengths of numbers is odd and I don't know of any other system that could do what it's doing.

Post dialling on COT could work but it would be trial and error. Make 55 a Public Library that dials 55 to the COT trunk group, it should siezed the trunk immediately and the user could keep dialling (or in the case of emergency, not). Not sure what would happen if the user dialled quickly though and whether it would miss the trailing digits.

Another option would be tell the Coral users to dial 55 and 44xx. Make 44xx Network Numbers and use LCR to change the 44 to 55. Or change 55 to 44 and do the same but doubt they'll like that. Or 055 and send 55 like a normal trunk call. No other solutions I can think of.

But the ability for the NEC to do conflicting lengths is something I've never seen on any other system. At least they're moving to Coral :)

Sorry but I'm not who you think I am!

I'm an NEC trained tech working with some tadiran trained people. The cots worked but there appears to be a pseudo answer timer that prevents post dialling which meant you had to pause between the 55 and the xx however we have got round that by using a public library (55) which is set to 55E1 and it works seamlessly. I have still to increase the guard timer as the tadiran allows you to reseize the line too quickly for the old NEC box (15 to 20 years old) but that shouldn't be a problem in the real world (just testing it in the lab at the moment).

Thanks for trying to help though!

By the way

Forgot to mention, Timing start is actually quite common. Even Cisco Call Manager Express can do it! The dial plan for that would have been 55T in a Cisco.

I know a Coral tech by the name of George in NSW. I know most Coral techs around the country too.

It's not a DoD site is it?

Sounds like it's working. I guess it's only temporary. I had a similar issue with Coral/NEC at a DoD site a few years back but it was E1/DTI so there are other settings/timers to get that going.

I'm in Perth and it's a hospital which is why I can't not have 55 working. It is the same code in all hospitals in the state! If I can ever help with nec issues you will find me on the NEC forum here. I might add that the coral techs I'm working with on this are very clued up but they had never tried this either!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back