Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Timezone & Day Light Savings

Status
Not open for further replies.

1DMF

Programmer
Jan 18, 2005
GB
Can someone advise how Windows SBS 2003 really handles time zones.

I have been told that BST (British Summer Time) or (DLS) is merely a display manipulation as if it was GTM+1 rather than a real time, is this correct?

If so isn't this wrong? the time is BST not GMT+1 , surely in the 21st century MS has finanly mastered the fact that not everyone is on the same time zone or uses the same currency formatting or the same date display nor speaks american!

"In complete darkness we are all the same, only our knowledge and wisdom separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!

Is it displaying the right time, or not?

All Microsoft clients handle time zones the same way. There is a universal registry key that defines all the different time zones, including their BST/DST/DLS adjustments. If it gets the time right and provides the BST adjustment for you, does it really matter what mechanism it uses on the math level?

For a wider response base, I would post this in the UK group or the Windows Server forum, since you are more likely to have people with international time experience.

Dave Shackelford
Shackelford Consulting

Is it displaying the right time, or not?
Yes and No , the server shows the correct time, the sophos scan logs show the wrong time.

I think i'll just put it down to a bug in Sophos and move on, got bigger fish to fry.

Thanks Dave.

"In complete darkness we are all the same, only our knowledge and wisdom separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back