Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Timesyncing workstations when server is not a PDC

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbode2006

Programmer
Aug 24, 2006
US
Hi all,
I have a blade server rack with one Windows 2003 server and 9 Win XP workstations. The client is not using the server as a PDC. I need to time sync all of the computers. What method is available to me in this configuration?

You can use group policy to set the server as a time source for the pcs.

Do Group Policies apply when the workstations do not log into the server? I used to use NET TIME \\SERVER SET when I did not have a SERVER computer available. This does not work in this configuration. If Group Policy can work, can you give me more details?

GPOs apply to domain computers. If those XP workstations aren't members of the domain, then the normal time sync and GPOs both will not work.

Double click on the time in the system tray and you should be able to configure the Internet time source to sync with.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

Hi,
You need to setup server to use NTP. Then on each work station us the commpand: net time /setsntp:servername,0x1

You need the 0x1 otherwise the time sync wont work.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back