Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Timesync can't connect to specified ntp server

Status
Not open for further replies.

landseer

MIS
Aug 29, 2003
US
My novell 5 servers can't connect to any out side ntp time server. I am able to ping from my workstation, but at console I am unable to. Also tried to point the novell servers at my linux server that gets its time from a timeserver out inthe world, but it is unable to see a server in my own network.

Need help

DJ

Hi

Syntax is important so,here is how mine is configured to our internal Clock. We use a box which uses satelite technology to get its time.

Settings in Monitor
Time Sources: 10.5.6.10:123;
Type: Reference
Default time server type: SINGLE

The first server is set to be a reference and all other server point to that server and a set to secondary's.
Note the ";" is required if I recall.

Good luck.

David

You may need to setup a static route so your server can route outside of your network. Do it in INETCFG.NLM under Protocols --> TCP/IP --> LAN Static Routing.

You can probably get away with using a default route, and just put in your router address.

Once you have established that you have IP connectivity to the outside world via pings, then you can go ahead and put in a time server and it should then be able to get time. You may have to restart the timesync with the "SET TIMESYNC RESTART FLAG=ON" command. Watch the timesync debug screen and troubleshoot if you still have problems.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

I've been scanning for info on NTP Synchronization and would like your comments.

I have the same situation as lanseer - novell servers ping fine inside my lan but not outside router, so I'm unable to set one as the reference using an "external" time source. Since my time sync uses the internal clock of my 'single', I need to occasionally SET TIME manualy.

I also have a linux server in my lan that does get time sync from an external time source (It runs the ntpd service).

questions:
1) Is it possible to have my novell servers pickup time from this linux server?

2) If an external time source goes down, would it be prudent to have an internal time source prevent novell servers from going insane - even if the linux server couldn't reach it's time source?

Thanks for your time - Keith

Keith... You can have your Novell server pickup time from any server out there that is capable of providing NTP services. If you can configure your linux server to provide time, then yes your NOvell server should be able to get time from it.

You can configure multiple time sources so for your second question, you should be able to stay in sync even if one goes down.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back