Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

times are off ???????

Status
Not open for further replies.

influent

Programmer
Jan 11, 2001
US
I'm using Team Services Discussions Boards, and when someone makes a posting, the time of the posting goes into the SQL Server database. But the time going in the DB is in GMT instead of Central time, even though all my servers and all my workstations are set to the correct Central time. What I really don't get is that even though the times in the DB are GMT, they show up on the discussion boards with the correct Central time. Anybody know what's going on?

Hi,
Usually the time is taken from the system (server), you can change the time from the regional settings through Control Panel. Hope this helps.

Thanks Hasman, but actually I found out that the database automatically enters the time in Greenwich Mean Time. I still don't know what part of SharePoint is converting it back for display, but I'm not too worried about it.

The reason dates are stored in GMT is to easily provide correct time to browsing clients. Whenever a date time field is populated, the value is converted to the proper time before the rendering engine pushes it to the users web browser.

It's a pretty involved process and involves a great deal of Javascript.

TSC - Webmaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back