Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Timeout question

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris921

Technical User
Mar 9, 2004
GB
On my Websphere console, I'm setting the timeout for anyone hitting the site to 15 minutes.

Does this mean that the session is still alive for 15 mins even if they leave the site after 2?

Reason being, I allow 1000 concurrent sessions, and in peak times this does come close to the knuckle - I'm keen to allow more users through at any one time (for obvious reasons!) - but I dont know if their sessions are staying alive after theyve left the site.

Any information or pointing me to some documents on this would be greatly appreciated :)

Could you be more specific with the "timeout" parameter? There are a few timeouts in WAS ...

Cheers,
Dian

Probably the easiest way for me to explain (as I'm self taught on this...) is I access the Integrated Systems Console - press Enterprise Applications, Choose my application and then press session management under the web module properties section.

I'm then given the option (among others) of maximum in-memory session count (with overflow option ticked) - and a session time out below it...

What I'm trying to work out is, if I increase that session timeout value (as I'm seeing an increase of people timing out) - do I have to increase the number of in-memory sessions? This is pretty much optimised but I don't know if the session dies as the user leaves the site after 1 minute, or does it only die after the 15 minutes I currently have the session timeout set at?

Sorry if I've gone around the houses here, i am pretty much self taught with websphere etc.

Session can die if the user explicitily logs out, that will depend on your application behaviour.

Cheers,
Dian

Hi

I dont mean if they logout, but if they leave my site without logging out, does their session die?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back