Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Timeout linking from HTTP to HTTPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

minkisi

Programmer
Dec 10, 2003
US
I'm not sure where to post this but the problem occurs linking to a PHP page so I'm trying here first.

I have a link from a non-secure page to a secure page in the same domain (HTTPS, have certificate installed). The client gets a timeout when he tries to link to the secure page from his office, whether using a T-1 or dial-up. They have a DNS server at the office.
He *can* link from home. I can link from my office and from home (both cable) with no problem.

The site is on a Linux server (Hostopia web hosting).

He can link to other secure sites with no problem (ex: Wachovia Bank, Commerce Bank)so he considers it to be my problem.

Here's the page:

Does anyone have any clue as to what the problem might be?

Thanks,
minkisi

very unlikely to be a php issue.

thoughts:
* have your client empty his browser cache
* check whether client can connect with an IP address rather than domain name (could be a dns issue on his machine, dns server or isp)

I agree.

By the time your user has an https:// link to click on, your PHP script has probably already stopped running. All the user could be interacting with is HTML.

In addition to jpadie's advice, I recommend that you check the configuration of your web servers's secure system.

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions!

TANSTAAFL!!

Thanks jpadie and sleipnir214 for your suggestions.

We can't connect with an IP address because it's hosted on one of those servers that hosts many domains using one IP address. Could that be part of the problem?

sleipnir214 - what should I look for in the configuration of the web server's secure system? (I am definitely not sever-savvy)

Thanks,
minkisi

We can't connect with an IP address because it's hosted on one of those servers that hosts many domains using one IP address. Could that be part of the problem?

i wasn't aware that you could have virtual hosts binding to the same IP address and port.

i have also been able to connect to your site with an iP address so i really do suggest you try this + the other advice above and then call your ISP if it still does not work.

Sure you can. It was the addition of the "Host:" header in HTTP 1.1 that allows this.

You just can't do it via HTTP. The web server must make a decision about which encryption keys to use before the HTTP
"Host:" header is ever transmitted.

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions!

TANSTAAFL!!

i'm sorry - i meant over the https protocol

Thanks for your additional suggestions. I found out that the client *can* connect using the IP address as suggested above, so it may be a DNS issue. I have passed all this information to the hosting provider. I will post the result when I find out.

Sometimes it amazes me that any of this works as well as it does!

Thanks,
minkisi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back