Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Timeout in commands

Status
Not open for further replies.

richardneal

Technical User
Nov 27, 2000
GB
Hello,

I am new to this forum. I hope I am roughly in the right one! Please advise me if you think this question should be put somewhere else.

I have a system with a unix server running SCO OpenServer(TM) Release 5, with lots of dumb terminals connected to the server via a "Specialix" box. The baud rate is 19200.
I have a piece of software that was originally written for Xenix and was transfered over to Unix some time ago. Since then there is about a 5% error rate on some commands entered by either function keys or arrow keys. A typical command would be "ESC [ T" to change the screen. Now it has been suggested to me that the problem is that unix has a very short timeout set to accept such a sequence and that if transmission is slow, or delayed this is not recognised as a single commnad but as 2 or 3 separate commands. If this is so then my simplistic approach to this is to find out if I can alter the unix timeout. Can I do this?

Richard Neal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back