Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Timeout ? How to change

Status
Not open for further replies.

1DMF

Programmer
Jan 18, 2005
GB
Hello,

I've got a script which is exceeding the standard timeout.

I found this post on the subject thread219-1340965 but the lnk to the examples no longer works!

I've scoured the FAQ and although on the thread it was suggested to make an FAQ , I can't find one.

So can someone help me configure the server to allow longer processing time for my script.

NB. Because it's a mechanise script doing a mass of screen scraping - the timeout extension is required, it has nothing to do with exessive processing or looping!

"In complete darkness we are all the same, only our knowledge and wisdom separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!

what web server are you running?
If your job it taking longer than the standard web timeouts i would set it up to queue and assign it a job ID and just have the person come back later. Either that or you need to speed up the processing of your perl script (forking) or add lower timeouts to your scraping logic

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[noevil]
Travis - Those who say it cannot be done are usually interrupted by someone else doing it; Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions;

It's Windows 2003 - IIS 6 - Active State 5.8

Dunno what you mean with this Queue and ID lark.

Also The scraping logic takes time because of what it is doing.

It's doing multiple page lookups for 2.5 thousand records, I can't make it run any faster, it's also dependent on the webserver i'm scraping and the traffic on that server at the time.

on the thread I found they indicated it is possible and you can set it at script level.

Does anyone know how to do this or where this MS download is?

"In complete darkness we are all the same, only our knowledge and wisdom separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!

Instead of running it on demand you queue the job to run at the system level and then you have no timeout issues. You can just display it when it's done.

Google reference to iis timeouts in perl:

You can always just go into the iis config and change the timeout.

[noevil]
Travis - Those who say it cannot be done are usually interrupted by someone else doing it; Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions;

great , all that's done to the server is make very single script now display
HTTP Error 404 - File or directory not found.

Did you actually read it or did you just go and make random changes? If you have control of the iis server and you insist that there is no way to make your perl program better just change the timeout option. Please take your IIS issues to the IIS forum

[noevil]

Did you actually read it or did you just go and make random changes?
Huh? I followed exactly what it said on the page you posted.

I uploaded the timeout.pm to the lib folder and made the home directory changes for the domain I need to alter relative to the CGI and PL extensions, then every script stopped working.

How is that random changes?

I've installed the IIS6.0 resource tools, but now can't understand a word on MSDN relating to the metabase file entries, so have posted on the IIS forum.

Nothing like making something as simple as the length of time a script should be allowed to run for, so god damn difficult to set!

Nice one Microsoft!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back