Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Timeout expired

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaidyanathanpc

Programmer
Nov 30, 2001
IN
Hi,
I have a procedure. When I run it, I always get the error "timeout expired". Is there any way I can change the script time out or the query timeout to a higher value? Where can I set this value on my SQL server?

Thanks
P.C. Vaidyanathan

Hai vaithiyanathan,
You create an index for which field
is used more in your query.

The first thing to do is determine why there is a timeout rather increasing the the timeout value. As the visitor suggested, you may be able to solve the problem by creating proper indexes on tables used in the procedure. There may be locking that causes the delay. There may be other inefficiencies in the procedure.

If the proceudre is optimized then the query timeout value is usually set at the client rather than the server. The client gives the timout message because it is waiting for the server to reply and the server is stil busy processing. Terry L. Broadbent - DBA
Computing Links:
faq183-874 contains "Suggestions for Getting Quick and Appropriate Answers" to your questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back