Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Time to upgrade the skillset...

Status
Not open for further replies.

straybullet

IS-IT--Management
Jun 5, 2003
US
Well, today I was informed that I will need to upgrade my skillset. I will need to learn ASP, SQL & Java.
Ive got some basic SQL understanding as a number of years ago I had been studying SQL7. Additionally, my primary job is currently MSAccess development. Any suggestions as to where to start?

Let them hate - so long as they fear... Lucius Accius

First if you were told to upgrade your skill set what sort of training are they willing to provide to help out. Now is the time to search for and ask for that training class!

THe SQL Server Programming forum is a good place to learn T-SQL.

I'd also invest in some books and do a google search for web resources for training.

Usually I find the best way to learn is to take ona project inthe area I want to learn. SOmeohow I get more out of it if I actually need to learn something in order to get my job done that if I just want to learn it.

Questions about posting. See faq183-874
Click here to help with Hurricane Relief

with respect to Java, i found the "Sun Certified Programmer and Developer for Java 2" as a good book to learn the fundamentals - its geared towards the Java exam (written by the people who designed the Java Exam). The book doesn't teach you Swing development ie GUI. Need a Swing book for that ie a slight disadvantage.

With SQL - were you just refering to MS SQL Server?

One approach you could "sell" to your employer is up-training by means of certification, because you can set defined goals betw you an your employer; your employer should pay for it; it benefits your CV....just a thought.

Cheers,
Dan

I just finished a course (Introduction to SQL) on SQL that was golden. This course is affordable yet it covers intro to advanced SQL. It is on-line and gives you the opportunity to meet 100 or more other students around the world. The course even suggests two great books (SQL for Microsoft Access and SQL Simplified) that were written by the instructor of the course. Check it out! Make sure you also take a look at the comments for the course. Go here or you can find it at the following site
Good Luck!

Chillay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back