Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Time to go to Asterisk/Digium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 22, 2013
US
I am looking to upgrade our Nortel nortel m8x24 system. I would like to add an Asterisk VoIP gateway of some sort with a PRI card to convert our current copper lines to PRI to cut cost, then with a FXO card have the calls still flow to the existing Nortel mx824 system. (in a nutshell)

I am trying to retain our current phone system as it would cost too much to buy all new phones at this point, this way with the asterisk in place taking the calls over a PRI, I would eventually be able to switch out the phones one by one to a asterisk supported SIP phone.

Does anyone have any good asterisk/digium based hardware gateways to recommend, or is it best to buy a new Small form factor computer and add all the stuff my self from scratch, I have mixed feeling about this for a business. (granted it is just a large auto sales lot so nothing critical)

I need a VoIP to do the following.

- PRI from Telco Providor ability
- Convert PRI to copper lines and send to existing Nortel system. (We have 8 Copper Lines that would have to go to the nortel system from the asterisk)
- Failover (I think I can do this with asterisk if I just build or buy 2 boxes)

(These are the main features) I know asterisk has everything else I need one I get over these 3 bumps first.

Why don't you just replace the Norstar with an emetrotel UCx20 or UCx50 system? You can retain all your sets and they will work pretty much the same as they do now. You can put a PRI card into the 50 and go direct without having to convert back to analog or you could just convert everything to SIP right away.

Seems like a lot of trouble to go through just to maintain a Norstar. Might cost a bit more upfront but you will be getting a much better system for your money.

I like this Emetrotel idea, I am trying to research it. Looks simple and can do everything I need it to do. Thanks for the idea!

Go to their website at emtrotel.com. There is a lot of technical stuff under the Support Tab.

I have worked on Nortel and Avaya systems my whole working life and this is the nicest system I've seen in 25 years. These ex-Nortel guys have done a fantastic job of using open source software to create a mainstream PBX........and it has some features that no other system provides.

Good Luck.

We have been using Dell R210 servers and Allo PRI gateways. The R210's are easy to wall mount in tight spaces. The Allo gateways have worked great.

I installed as a sub-contractor a Yeastar MyPBX U300 with a built in PRI. Have no idea the price, but can tell you it was easy to program and install. When I left customer was happy, but can not comment on experience after that.

Based on you username you should go to Avaya IP Office! But Asterisk is quite easy to setup if you use FreePBX or something similar. We always recommend Sangoma PRI/analog cards.

-----------------------------------
4771494_orig.jpg

Calgary Telephone Systems, Avaya LG Asterisk (FreePBX) VOIP & TDM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back