Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Time Sync

Status
Not open for further replies.

adrianday

IS-IT--Management
Feb 7, 2002
GB

I have looked through other threads and cannot find exactly what I need to know. We have a network in an isolated secure location. i.e no internet connection.

There is a single server (DC) and is 2008R2 and the workstations are windows7

Not sure what I may have missed, if anything , during installation. I was always under the impression that each workstation refreshed its time every hour (3600). However the time on each workstation has drifted and is now different from the server time. Restarting PC and logging in afresh does not sync time either.
What should I be checking.

kind regards Adrian

Hi Adrian,

I believe your DC is not announcing itself as a reliable time source. Have a look at the MS article "How to configure an authoritative time server in Windows Server" ([URL unfurl="true"]http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816042[/url]). Expand the section 'Let me fix it myself' to read how to configure the PDC master without using an external time source.

To check if the PC's are using your DC as their time source run the following command on them: w32tm /query /status

Regards,

Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back