Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Time sync on a Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

VLADY218

Technical User
Feb 7, 2003
US
I have 1 Server (2000 Active Directory) and 5 Clients (2000 Professional). The times of the Clients are not in Sync with the Server. I run Login scripts for Mapping drives and I also tryed the NET TIME \\SERVERNAME /SET/Y to sync but it does not work. am I missing something. These computers are not connected to the internet in any way. But i still want to sync the servers time to the clients time.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Go to a command prompt an type:

net time /setsntp <NTP Server Name>

Go to Services and restart the WINDOWS TIME Service. The workstation will automatically keep time with the NTP server specified.

If your server is not a Domain Controller you will have to edit the registry for it to be a Time Server.
HKEY LOCAL MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Parameters\Local NTP Edit the Dword from 0 to 1. Stop and Restart the time service on the server.
Then run your NET TIME /SETSNTP SERVERNAME and NET TIME /SET for your clients.
From the KB: Thanks,

Matt Wray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back