Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Time Sync in Solaris

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlmk

MIS
Feb 1, 2001
HK
Hi,

I am installing a Time Sync software in Solaris 8. I download it from in successfully installed. However I don't know how to configure it (the /etc/inet/ntp.conf ). Anybody can help?? Actually I already have a Time source server with IP 10.0.0.1. How can I configure solaris to read the time from source??
BTW, anyone has suggestion on any other Time Sync software for Solaris 8??
Thanks.

You should have the NTP facility built-in with Solaris 8. Try man xntpd, man ntpdate & man ntpq for more info.

If you set up an ntp config file (see /etc/inet/ntp.client for an example) then the ntp service will startup automatically on next reboot.

Run /etc/init.d/xntpd start to manually start it, once you've created your /etc/inet/ntp.conf file.

You might want something like this :-
[tt]
server 10.0.0.1
driftfile /etc/inet/ntp.drift
[/tt]

NB: It takes time for NTP to synchronise clocks, so be patient! Ayjaycee - the "A" in TandA

One by one, the penguins steal my sanity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back