Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

time stamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

childlead

Technical User
Jul 13, 2001
US
hi.

i was wondering if anyone knew how to do the following:
i have a description box where users enter what work they've done. to ensure that nothing is erased, i want the description box to be able to automatically start a new line and enter the day's date and time entered as soon as the user begins to type. once the user is finished and saves the record, i want the description entered before the time stamped to protected so that no one can make changes. i basically want to see a history of the descriptions entered without any fear of it being doctored. thank you so much for your help. this is a great forum...

Assuming the user clicks a button to save the record (or if not, in the beforeupdate event), how about

description = Now() & vbcrlf & description.

Graham

If you want to document the current value of the field you could use the following like Graham recommended.

description = Now() & vbcrlf & description.

I have done this very thing in a history field but I want the previous value (before being changed)

Me.History = Now() & Me.description.OldValue & vbCrLf & vbCrLf

Steve King Growth follows a healthy professional curiosity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back