Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Time Specific Videos 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctarain

Technical User
Jun 2, 2006
US
Hello all!

First off, I love you guys and gals for all the help I've gotten the past couple years. I don't think that's said enough.

Here's the idea:
Setting up AS to only enable a video to play at certain times of day, making the video more exclusive (that's my real goal).

I was going to go xml but figure that somebody will get the link for the video and just pass it around. Same for passwords. This is how I arrived at just setting up an AS timer that only allows the video to be displayed at certain times.

General Setup:
-get the time
-If/then enable video
-else disable video

Problem:
What says they don't just set their computer's time ahead and view the videos?

Any ideas? Plus is there just a flat out better way to do it?

Thank you!

You could base it on server time rather than on user's time, or use UTC... Then they'd have to calculate an offset, at least making it more difficult...
Or you could even make random ranges of times at which the video will only be allowed to play...

Of course, if someone really wants it, they'll get it! Once they've screened it, it'll be lying in their cache, unless you're using a Flash Streaming Server, which I doubt you are.

Regards. CLICK HERE TO DONATE.

VISIT MY FORUM
TO GET YOUR OWN FREE WEBSITE HOSTING

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back