Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Time Service synchronization 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdandcoke

MIS
Jan 13, 2004
US
I am running a win2k pdc and a win2k bdc. I have been noticing in the event viewer on a few computers that the time service is syncing off of the bdc instead of the pdc. Is this normal and if not how do I change it?

By using the net time command on each users pc,(possibly including the bdc!) redirecting to the pdc.
eg.

c:>NET TIME \\Server /set /y

It is a good idea to do this in the logon script.

marcdmac has a good looking script written in vb in this very forum...

of course, you will need to delete the ' on the respective line...

see...

thread96-749465

To set on workstation from which server synchronise time, use this

net time /setsntp:yourtimeserver

where 'yourtimeserver' can be IP or DNS name, you can use many servers, then separate addresses with semicolon (;)

works only on win2000, winxp

===
Karlis
ECDL; MCP

Actually, that is normal behavior. The server that has the PDC role is the master time server. All other domain controllers will synchronize with that server. Windows 2000 and Windows XP clients will automatically synchronize their time with whichever domain controller authenticates them. This helps distribute the traffic.

Unless you really have a need for all the clients to synchronize to one server I wouldn't worry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back